Monday, August 4, 2014

I Quit!


                             >>>Caroline refusing to sit in her car seat. Yes I took a picture<<<

I am a first time mama. I am also guilt ridden, anxious, and a perfectionist. And I QUIT. I give up worrying about doing everything right, feeling guilty when I don't, and chasing after an unattainable "perfect life". 
I just laid my daughter down for a nap with a blanket and stuffed animal. She is nine months old. Everything I have read basically says you are an unfit mother who deserves jail time if there is anything in the crib except your baby. I also just got home from Target, where my daughter threw a little fit in line while in front of a beautiful mama with two sweet little girls sitting quietly in her shopping cart. I just sat down and thought about how I felt, trying to budget down to the penny while holding a squirming little girl, pushing a cart, and dodging (probably mostly imagined) disapproving looks. All I came up with is I am worn out.
Mama, are you tired like me? Why don't we get it? God has given us these precious gifts, made in His image and likeness, to treasure the rest of our days. I forget that I am supposed to be having the time of my life, not caring what other people think. Who cares that the lady behind me in line has TWO humans to keep track of and has her hair and makeup did (my hair at least is clean today, that's gotta count for something, right?). God chose us to raise our kiddos, and he equipped us to do so. So quit already. Who cares what they think? We have been commissioned by God to raise these kids, and that takes a lot more than everything looking perfect on the outside to everyone else. Here is some encouragement for us today.

Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12

I have set the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Psalm 16:8

Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come. Proverbs 31:25

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
the fruit of the womb a reward. Psalm 127:3

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake. Psalm 23:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment