Saturday, July 26, 2014

Busy, Busy, There's So Much To Do!

Wow, so it's been since Christmas. Or, in the way I measure time now, since my daughter was 2 mo old! I have been wanting to get back to sharing, but have not found the time or confidence. I was playing with my daughter and singing along to the words on one of her toys the other day, not really paying attention to what I was singing. But then the song was stuck in my head the rest of the day. These are the words: "Busy, Busy, Busy, Busy, There's so much to do! You can learn while you play, there is so much to do today!" Unfortunately, this about sums up life right now, and probably my daughter's entire life. Even the days that we are at home, I am thinking about the next day, and the next, and all I have to do. It is exhausting, and expected. 
Why is it commonplace for us to respond when someone asks how we are with "Oh, we are so busy! (insert sigh)"? Why does it make us feel important? Why don't we just say: I am exhausted, I missed lunch because my daughter pooped up her back and I was too distracted to eat the four day old chicken in the fridge before we ran out of the house to make it to the grocery store!". Because really, in my world, that's what busy is right now. It's not sitting down with my husband and fully telling each other about our days. It's doing so much "ministry" that we miss actually ministering to people. It's planning for this, and that, and missing the right now.
This is why that little song stuck in my head kind of rocked my world. My daughter is already being taught that there is so much to do. Too much. I want to slow down. Take a breath. Someday, standing in Heaven, I will be devastated, completely wrecked, when Jesus shows me all the times I was "too busy" to do what really mattered. My busyness is not impressing Him. Here's some scripture I need to read and re-read:

Therefore I tell you, fdo not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 gLook at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. hAre you not of more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his ispan of life?728 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, jeven Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, kO you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For lthe Gentiles seek after all these things, andmyour heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But nseek first othe kingdom of God and his righteousness, pand all these things will be added to you. Mt 6:25-33.



Lord, help me. 

Gotta run. A plant tipped over and I need to vacuum the dirt before my daughter eats it. Then, you know, slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment