Monday, May 14, 2012

Don't Believe in Vain


The Resurrection of Christ
[15:1] Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, [2] and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. [1 Corinthians 15:1-3, ESV] Extended text: 1 Corinthians 15

I have a tendency to forget that the bible was not originally put together with all of the chapters, verses, and titles. When I remember that I study differently, and it brings a whole new meaning to the verse I focus on. Before the start of this passage, Paul is teaching the Corinthians what an orderly church looks like, as well as explaining how to use their gifts in a way that glorifies God and not man.

With that in mind, read 1 Corinthians 15. What does believing in vain mean to you? (Comments if you got em J) We have this incredible gospel that we have received, but Paul implies that some may have believed all of it in vain.  I used the picture above (one of our wedding candids), because it reminded me of the times I am believing in vain: all I see is myself. What I want, what I need, what He can do for me, why me….. The biggest reality check for me is worship. I also find myself thinking of the times where I take the gospel and reject it. I want to continue to grow into someone more like Jesus, but it seems that I do the opposite, even though I have the tools to be better (Romans 6 is an awesome passage about being free from sin, and convicting as well). So, this week, I am going to try especially hard to stay in the word, praying, and continually turning away from sin. I need to remember that the bible is NOT about me or just a "road map" for my life. It is about Jesus, and my life should be as well!

I am going to start my morning off with some worship:
Here is a fun song to get you in the worshipping mood (they don’t have an official music video on you tube yet):
Rend Collective Experiment: Build your kingdom here

No comments:

Post a Comment