Monday, May 28, 2012

Monday Madness: Getting a Head Start on the Week

Today I am setting a goal for the week: I want to be more focused and constructive in my prayer time. My goal is to wake up extra early every morning for my devotion and prayer time. I don't, however, want this to become a religious things where it is just another thing that I have t check off my list for today. So, I am  going over a study that I wrote a while ago on prayer just to get me thinking and my heart in the write place. I posted it below.
What is your goal for the week? I would love you to post a comment on a goal or goals that you have (it could be anything) and resources or scripture that are going to help you along the way. I would love to learn from you!

Prayer
Think about the first four questions for a moment, and write down your thoughts so you can go back to them.
  • Why do you think we should pray?
  • How do you think we should pray?
  • When do you think we should pray?
  • Where do you think we should pray?
  • Let's read Matthew 6:5-14, then re-read 9-13. 
  • Who is speaking here? This is one of very few EXPLICIT teachings to the disciples.
  • Let's start at the beginning: Matthew 6:9. Jesus lays it out for us (THIS then is HOW YOU should pray). Do you think He meant say these exact words every time you pray? What do you think the goal of this teaching was for Him? 
"Our father in heaven, hallowed be your name". What does hallowed mean? Why is this passage so important?
  • 6:10 "Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven". Think about this not as a request, but as a proclamation to God that His will is ultimately what will happen, and that we trust and know that He makes "all things work for the good of those who love him" Romans 8:28.  
  • 6:11 "Give us today our daily bread" (Emphasis Mine) Notice the prayer does not say things like 'make sure I have groceries tomorrow', or 'help me to be ok financially the rest of the year'. Is this a hard concept for you? Also notice that we are depending on God for these daily provisions. Read Matthew 7:9-11
  • 6:12 "Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors". (Emphasis Mine) Does it make sense to ask our perfect Father to forgive us if we do not forgive others?
  • 6:13 "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one". How much do you think that sin and temptation gets in the way of your relationship with God? What are your thoughts on the significance of last part of this verse (deliver us from the evil one)? 
Here are some other examples of prayer in the bible:
  • 1 Chronicles 4:9-10 Prayer of Jabez
  • Jabez asked the Lord to bless him, and expand his territory. Is this more pro-active than  your normal prayers?
  • Ephesians 1:15-19 Paul praying for Ephesus
  • What are some of the things Paul prays for about the church of Ephesus?
  • Ephesians 6:19-20 Paul is asking the people of Ephesus to pray for him.
  • What does Paul ask them to pray for?
  • How significant is what he is asking them to pray for?
  • Do you think it is important to ask others to pray for you? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment