Thursday, July 19, 2012

Reflecting On.... 3 John

I really struggle with breezing right through scripture without taking the time to really take what I'm reading to heart. So here I am, "reflecting" :). I recently read through 3 John rather quickly (it's just one chapter), and I thought it would be a good place to start.

Background:
The apostle John is writing this letter to a guy named Gaius, who is having some trouble with Diotrephes. The theme of the book is steadfastness in times of opposition. 

The Verse that I am reflecting on:
Verse 11: "Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God." 
John was probably talking about Diotrephes, and telling Gaius not to stoop to his level. This really made me think. It is so easy to slip into conversations or thoughts that are the opposite of glorifying to God when I am around certain people. This verse reminds me that when I have my eyes on God, I will do good. When I turn away, I do the opposite. It is such a relief that it is not up to me to try harder
to do good, but all I have to do is simply set my eyes on the Lord.

Prayer:
Jesus, thank you for taking the punishment that should have belonged to me. Thank you that you offer freedom from my sins and the weight of this world. Lord I ask that you remind me to keep my focus on you. Help the distractions of this world be unappealing to me, and pull me into a closer walk with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment