Friday, December 28, 2012

New Years Resolutions Done Right



If you are like me, you have many failed New Years Resolutions under your belt. I think new years resolutions are great. I also think if we change our resolutions from focusing on our habits to focusing on our heart we can make a lasting change. Here are some examples to get you motivated, give you some ideas, and help you examine your heart. The “resolutions done right” are bare minimum examples. Use them to make your own specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely (SMART) goals (learned that in one of my classes, thankyouverymuch).

I resolve to lose weight.

Look at your heart:
 “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”
(1 Corinthians 6:19-20 ESV)

Why?
My body is a temple.
I want to be healthy for my family.
I want to look better (just being honest, y’all were thinkin it)

Resolutions done right: 
I will do (insert class, cardio, weight training here) three times a week.
I will cut out (refined grains, coffee, soda, etc.) of my diet, and allow myself one cheat meal a week.
I will run 3 races this year.


 I resolve to save money.

Look at your heart:
            “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.”
(1 Timothy 6:10 ESV)
            “Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’”
(Hebrews 13:5 ESV)

Why?
I want to submit my finances to God so he can use me to bless others.
I don’t want to worry about money anymore.
I am not in a good place financially.


Resolutions done right:
I will tithe to my church (this seems counterintuitive, but the FIRST 10% of our income belongs to God, not us. Give him back what is His already and make room for him to bless you more).
I will pay off all of my debt Click Here for Help
I will make a budget and stick to it. Listen to these sermons and then Click Here for Great Budget sheets and ideas
I will save (insert appropriate amount here) per month.
I will cut out (coffee runs, clothes, fast food).
I will eat at home or bring a meal every meal except once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment